Suddenly felt unconscious and started shaking. Is this a kind of seizure?

Nov 2013

I think I fainted last night and I feel a bit concerned now because I've never fainted before. Everything went very black and I fell to the floor (I don't know for how long) and I don't understand what really happened but I think I fell a second time because I remember I fell again heavily onto my knees as if my body just shut itself off. For a really long time after I was shaking uncontrollably and my jaw was rattling. Did I faint or have some kind of seizure? My muscles all over my body are very sore and stiff, and I have bruises on my hand and knees. No one actually saw me fall but it happened when I got a sudden fright from something. Your help is appreciated.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
Based on your description, the most likely cause for your fainting epsodes is seizure.
The type of seizure is most likely a generalized tonic-clonic type, which results in tonic-clonic jerks of arms and legs and loss of consciousness.
You need evaluation by a neurologist to establish the cause of seizure.
Investigations may be required, such as brain scan (CT or MRI), EEG, and blood tests (blood sugar, calcium, electrolytes, etc).
You may be started on anti-epileptic drugs to prevent seizures in the future.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
XXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Suddenly felt unconscious and started shaking. Is this a kind of seizure? 23 hours later
Is the knees giving in and the chin dropping characteristic because it is not common for me to ever fall down like that? and nothing explains my muscle aches and headache, so I am worried. I will see a doctor this week.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later
Thank you for getting back. The fall in your case did not result due to any weakness, but due to loss of voluntary control of legs due to seizure (as you were not conscious then). Same reason can be attributed to the chin dropping.
Following a seizure, headache and body pains are quite common.
This is not a cause of concern and can be treated well with medications.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)