Suddenly felt breathlessness and sweating through out body. Which specialist should I consult?

Psychiatrist
Question
Sir, yesterday night, while sleeping in my left side, I suddenly felt cold sweat through out my body. Moreover I felt breathlessness. Please suggest me whether it is serious. Should I go for medical check up? If so which doctor should be preferred? I am having low blood pressure.
Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 57 minutes later

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

The kind of symptoms you are suggesting occur commonly due to the following reasons:
1) Fall in blood pressure
2) Hypoglycemia (reduced blood sugars)
3) Irregular heart rhythm
4) Heart Failure
5) Night mares

Fall in blood pressure is less likely as you were sleeping and your head was already low.

Hypoglycemia is a common possibility and you should get your blood sugars (Fasting and postprandial) tested ones. Glycosylated Hemoglobin will also give you a good idea about the glucose status of the body.

Irregular heart rhythm some times occur in sleep and when awake. A ECG and if required Holter ECG monitoring will help you .

Heart failure is a condition where in the heart pumping capacity is reduced and the water gets accumulated in the lungs which causes breathlessness and and cold sweats. It generally occurs after 3-4 hours of sleep. An X-ray chest and an echocardiogram (2dEcho) will help in ruling out.
Nightmares are one of the benign but common reason for such a presentation and at times you may or may not remember the dream.

Take Home Message:
You can wait if its a first episode, but if it recurs for the second time, you should visit a cardiologist having a DM cardiology affiliation, who can evaluate you and do the above mentioned tests. However, if you are still anxious about your health, you can make a visit early.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.

In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a good health!

Follow-up: Suddenly felt breathlessness and sweating through out body. Which specialist should I consult? 30 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your prompt response. Atually Sir, when I went to bed and I was trying to sleep, I was having this problem. So please suggest me if you have any further advises.Along with above symptoms, I am also having itching problem (not regularly). It seems like I am having elergy.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Hello and thanks again,

You would need to do your blood sugars, ECG, Chest X-ray and echocardiography done if the problem repeats. If it doesn't, you need not bother.

Itching is a common problem and it can be the cause for sleep disturbance. You may take anti-histamines or use caladryl lotions to reduce itching. You may also change your bed lenins and bed sheet ones if that is what is causing itching. In case you identify a cause for your allergy, then you should stay away from it. But the cause is rarely found. If the symptoms of itching persist despite taking antihistamine then in that case you should consult a dermatologist.

Hope this suffices. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.

Wish you a good health!