Sudden pain on the top of the foot with swelling and redness. Could this be a hairline fracture?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For about a year now, I've had severe,incapacitating sudden burst of sharp, burning pain in one spot on the top of my right foot right over the bone. Periodically it swells in just that one little spot while it's hurting, and I thought maybe it was a nerve that had popped up for some reason. it will start hurting so badly,it leaves a red line where it hurts. One doctor thought it could be a hairline fracture, but that wasn't it. Have no answers but it's really bad. It just comes on at random times, no rhyme or reason. Not doing anything to trigger it.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
The sudden pain on the top of the foot with swelling and redness without any history of injury is suggestive of an inflammation of the joint. It can be related to a local pathology like arthritis, tendonitis or an increased uric acid levels.
A direct examination and few blood tests will help in determining the exact cause. It is not likely to be related to a nerve compression or injury.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a hot compress on the area of pain.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.