Struggling for breath, sleeping all the time, not fussing about food, rash on neck. What could this be?

Hi My daughter sounds like she is struggaling for breath for the last 3 days she has been sleepin all the time not fussed about her food n today i have noticed a rash on her neck that looks like blood dotts. just wondering if u could help me out about what this could be?!
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

I was able to view the pictures sent. The red spots look like petechial spots (petechiae).

Such spots usually accompany a viral infection. The breathing difficulty which you mentioned if that is predominantly noticed in lying down position, it could be possible that her nose is congested due to the same flu infection. The flu can also explain her refusal to feed and excessive drowsiness.

Please verify if she is running a fever and whether or not similar spots are present anywhere else in the body and if she is breathing fast (more than 40 per minute) with or without stridor (noisy breathing) - All these confirm the possibility of infection.

Other likely reasons are probably some pressure due to her clothing’s or presence of bronchial spasm like in asthma.

Without a physical examination, I am unable to narrow down on a single possibility. The aforementioned conditions are few explanations to her symptoms.

The symptoms are concerning and hence I encourage you to consult her pediatrician for a detailed examination at the earliest.

Hope I was able to provide you the information you were looking for. Let me know if you have further enquiries.

Best Regards
Dr. Prasad