Strange sensation in rib cage. What could it be?

Hello doctor ,
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 20 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Is the movement with each breath? Is it near the abdomen or up in the chest?
Is there breathlessness, nausea, vomiting, cough, catch in the breath, shoulder pain, fever?
Movements under the right ribcage can only be of lung, liver and gall bladder and diaphragm.
Please describe these great details and anything else you feel is abnormal.

I would be glad to answer any further queries.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

Follow-up: Strange sensation in rib cage. What could it be? 21 hours later
Thank you for reply Doctor,
This sensation is upper abdomenal right side , there are no other symptoms other than this movement sensation . XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
If there are no other symptoms, you may just keep a watch on those symptoms I mentioned.

If they occur, you may have to do a sonography of the upper abdomen and thorax to look for the cause.

Liver if enlarged can move with each respiration just under the ribcage up and down and can cause dull ache. Bowel movements from colon peristalsis may also occasionally occur and may be associated with bloating, nausea, gaseousness, indigestion.
Lungs movement most often causes cough and pain.

So, I feel there is nothing significant at this stage.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!