Stopped smoking. Have sore and painful varicose veins on leg. Is this due to bad circulation?

Hi, I had a DVT 14years ago, it was cured, but there was some damage to the blood vessel. I have a varacose vein (but its not that bad) my leg has been getting progresivly more sore, its painfull at night (its sometimes slightly swollen, but has done that for 14years) it just feels wrong, do you think the bad circulation is causing tissue damage?, it feels nasty all the time (just worse at night) sometimes trouble taking my weight on it (I am a healthy weight) Also I stopped smoking 5months ago.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It is good that you could stop smoking. Keep it up. It is one of the major causes for causing and continuing damage to the blood vessels.

Once the vein is damaged –whatever is the cause – it may perpetuate by itself.
Inflammation leads to obstruction (at times infection).
Obstruction leads to back pressure upstream, leading to dilatation and tortuosity – Varicosity. Stagnation is worse with upright posture, because the veins drain against gravity – there is no power apart from surrounding muscles to push.
The back flow is prevented by the valves, which are often damaged and incompetent, from the vicious cycle of pressure and dilatation.
They may leak from increased hydrostatic pressure – into the surrounding tissues and irritate them.
The increased volume and irritation are the reasons for heavy / nasty feeling.

You will benefit by consulting a specialist in Vascular diseases.
A Doppler study is generally done. At times, other investigations like ascending venography may be necessary to delineate the veins. A few blood tests for clotting are often needed.

There are a few options for treatment starting from graduated compression stockings. Some may need sclerosing therapy or surgery. Your doctor will guide, depending on your examination and investigation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck