Stopped Nuvaring with intention to conceive. Took Vitex. Periods lasted for one day. Suffer irregular periods. Suggest to speed the process?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I stopped the Nuvaring 5 months ago with the intention to conceive. The first two months off of it I had to take Vitex to initiate my period which came a month later. I stopped taking Vitex, and fifty days later my period came but lasted for one day only. My blood results from July indicate that TSH 2.49, T3 32, T4 6.8, Free T4 2.2, Progesterone <0.5, LH 8.2, FSH 4.3, DHEA 466, Vitamin b12 553, Prolactin 16.1, hcg <2, and Estradiol 89.
My history is significant for one pregnancy at age 25 (terminated at 5 weeks), one benign fibroadenoma surgically removed from the right breast at age 19, galactorrhea since age 19, hypersensitive to cold.
I'm trying to figure out if I am estrogen dominant/progesterone deficient---do these results indicate this, or anything abnormal? Is it supposed to take this long for cycles to regulate after stopping birth control? Is there anything I can take to speed up the process? I have been on birth control since the age of 16 (ortho cyclen, lo-estrin, nuvaring) When I got pregnant years ago I was on the pill; the past 2 years was the first time I was on Nuvaring and now I am experiencing irregular/absent periods.
Please help; I'm terrified that I am infertile.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Your blood results are apparently fine. Dont worry about them.

2) You history also does not warrant any problem for conceiving.

3) When you are off from Novaring, it takes time in some women to get back normal cycles.

4) I want you to get a transvaginal scan done from a gynecologist to check if you have polycystic ovaries which cause variation in your cycles.

5) Also let me know your height and weight. If you have any increase in weight recently.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: Stopped Nuvaring with intention to conceive. Took Vitex. Periods lasted for one day. Suffer irregular periods. Suggest to speed the process? 46 hours later
Thank you for the response.

I had a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound last month--all was normal.

I am 5 feet, 105 pounds.

I have been on Adderall for ADD for the past 4 years which has also helped keep my weight steady.

I am awaiting blood results for MTHFR, triglycerides, vitamin b12, folate, and a urea breath test.

This has never happened to me before; what would you suggest in order to start/regular ovulation again? Would you advise against bio-identical hormones?

Thank you again.
Follow-up: Stopped Nuvaring with intention to conceive. Took Vitex. Periods lasted for one day. Suffer irregular periods. Suggest to speed the process? 2 hours later
Should I start taking vitex again?
I am also getting an estradiol:progesterone blood test on day 19 (oct 4) which is 19 days after my period came on its own but only lasted for one day.
I am very confused as to why this is happening and taking so long to become regular since my hormones seem to be normal, there are no signs of PCOS and ultrasound was normal. I do have anxiety but have always been treated for that, and that didn't stop me from conceiving naturally a few years ago. No major diet or exercise changes, my weight is the same, I thought that cycles were not to be affected after birth control was stopped.

Brief Answer:
Get day2 FSH, LH, AMH

Detailed Answer:

No need to take vitex or any medication. We have to diagnose why cycles are irregular and bleeding is less.

There is no use of estradiol or progesterone testing. Please get following hormones tested from a standard laboratory:

1) Day2 FSH, LH, AMH

These hormones will give information about Ovarian reserve and if there is any decreased reserve.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist