Stop taking Atacand. Chances of having stroke?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My name is XXXXXXX The last time I visited my doctor she said she we must get you off Atacand - I was taking 1 8mg tablet in the morning. That was 2 months ago, so I decided to stop two months ago without consulting the doctor and thought that was o.k. but a few of my friends frightened me when they said I should not have done this because I could have a stroke! What is the correct thing to do - I don't see the doctor until next Thursday which is almost a week away?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Since you stopped taking Atacand two months ago, there is no need to worry now. The rebound hypertension that it would have caused is not persistent. You need to monitor your blood pressure regularly for now and consult your physician in case the readings are higher than 130/90 for treatment.
Also watch for any dizziness, sweating, headaches, etc.
Have a salt restricted diet.
Reducing fatty foods, salt and increasing citrus fruits,garlic,fish ,brown rice in your diet helps. Also avoid smoking , alcohol and stress. Try yoga, meditation and reduce your weight to lower your blood pressure.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.