Stool with reddish colored flesh like blood. Is it an emergency ?

I just passed stool with reddish colored flesh like bloody looking matter that comprised of about 5 percent of the mass. This has never happend before. The last time I had blood work done I did have elevated enzymes. Is this a medical emergency? It was just one piece of matter and it wasn't runny I could break it apart. Thank You
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Bright red blood in stools indicates bleeding from somewhere close to the anus because closer the source of bleeding is to the anus, the brighter red the blood will be. If it is fresh blood and only streaks along with hard stools and pain in the anal region while defeacating, it could be because of anal fissures (injury to the mucosal lining by hard stools which bleeds). It is a common cause in your age.

However if it is bright red with no pain then rectal polyps and inflammatory bowel disease should be ruled out. At your age, chances of any GI malignancy are less.

Keep an eye on the stools since this was the first episode. If the repeat happens then get a stool examination and a gastroenterologist’s consultation. Maybe a proctoscopy and colonoscopy is done to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Stool with reddish colored flesh like blood. Is it an emergency ? 27 minutes later
Thank you so much, I will follow through with your recommendations. This is a wonderful service.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back to us and for your kind words.

Do write to us if you have any health query.