Stomach upsets, diarrhea, dehydration, weight loss, mucus in stools

My 2 year old daughter is suffering from frequent stomach upsets since XXXXXXX 2011. She suffered from diarrhea in the month of march and had to be hospitalized for 3 days due to dehydration after which she lost weight. For the past 7 days she was passing mucus along with stool and today morning she is having a tendency of stomach upset. Please help
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

Presence of mucous in the stools is a sign of inflammation. This could be a result of infection or allergies or rarely autoimmune antibodies.

From the symptoms that you have mentioned it is probably an infection. This is expected to clear up. Presence of abdominal pain, vomiting, fever or even blood in stool is an indication that she needs immediate medical attention.

I am a little concerned about loss of weight. Has she lost weight rapidly? If there was no rapid loss of weight in a few months and if her weight is around 7 to 15 kg, I will consider it as normal.

Consult a pediatrician, if her weight is not under limits or if there is a rapid fall in weight in the last few months.

As far as the current problem goes, a good healthy diet and hydration is necessary. Dry cereals, Rice or rice kanji, crackers, baked potatoes, legumes, carrot and lean meat can be given.
You can take care of acute dehydration with ORS therapy.
These symptoms improve with time and you need not worry.

If she continues to have mucous in stools for more than a week to 10 days, then consulting a pediatrician will be needed. Abdominal examination, blood test, stool test and other tests is entailed.

I hope I have answered your query.

If there are any more queries, I will be available to answer them.

I wish your daughter speedy recovery.

Warm Regards.