Stomach ulcer, adenomatous polyp. Is there a need to worry about benign polyp?

I had an a gastroscopy one week ago. The doctor found one minor ulcer lession on the lower part of stomach, but found three patches of adenomatous polyp (white color(. Dr took specimen from two of the three and got histologicla report back with Micro: The polypoid is comprised of irrregular tubular glands lines by crowded, tall columnar cells with minimal degree of nuclear atypism. Dr. gave me benzimidazole 30mg, but insisted that I need not worry about the benign polyp, he even said that there is no need for regular follow up checks. I was wondering if his advice is correct. I need professional advice.
Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 11 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

The polyp histopathology especially if there are irregular glands and nuclear atypia then you need regular surveillance endoscopy - may be once in 3years.

H. pylori infection should be tested and treated if present as it is frequently associated with ulcers and gastric neoplasm.

Avoid smoking and alcohol.

Follow-up: Stomach ulcer, adenomatous polyp. Is there a need to worry about benign polyp? 1 hour later
Dear Dr Poornachandra:

Thank you for your opinion which is very helpful. I would like to know if I will need to take a colonscopy. I have had taken two double-contrast barium enema over past ten years, one 4 years ago, the other 10 years ago. Besides, would you recommend removing my adenomatous polyps as a preventive measure? I have no family history of duodenal polyp (I forgot to report that three polyps were found on section of my duodenum, not on stomach). I am sorry about it. Thank you again for your attention.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification.

Small intestinal polyps may be associated with colonic polyps in case of some polyposis syndromes. But in polyposis syndromes you would find many polyps.

Hence it is better to evaluate the small bowel first by either a capsule endoscopy or a barium enteroclysis.

At your age, it is a good idea to have one screening colonoscopy, as colonoscopy is far superior to barium studies in detecting small polyps.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.