Stomach pulsation, abdominal pain, weight loss. Advised ultrsound. What are your thoughts?

My wife is 24, 5'6 and 167lbs. she has lost about 60 lbs in the last 2 yrs. She has a pulsating in her stomach and told me today that it has been there for about an year. We went to the doctor today because she has had a constant slight pain on the ride side of her stomach. The doc thought it was a gallbladder problem until she heard the pulsating then she mentioned that she might have AAA and need a Ultrascan which we will do in the morning and get the results on Monday. What are your thoughts? because she has been freaking out.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query

Pulsations felt in the middle of the abdomen are usually the aortic pulsations which may be pathological of an increased perception.
Increased perception may be due to -
1) A thin abdomen so that the normally posterior aorta is close to the abdomen
2) In people with hyperdynamic circculation as in hyperthyroidism, anemia, aortic regurgitation, anxiety disorder

Pathological causes may be due to -
Aortic aneurysm, a lump over the aorta so that the aortic pulsations are transmitted
Since your wife has a history of a significant weight loss she may just be having an increased perception only. However it will be a good idea to do a doppler ultrasound examination to rule out other causes.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Stomach pulsation, abdominal pain, weight loss. Advised ultrsound. What are your thoughts? 7 hours later
Thanks for your answer. Another question is that every since our son was born in 08 my wife has felt uncomfortable pain whenever pressure is applied to her stomach. For instance in the ultrasound scan or whenever my son will lay down on her stomach. She says she feels like passing out and feels sick to her stomach however she never actually does throw up or pass out. What are your thoughts on this?Also last question what are your thoughts on the constant very slight pain on the right side of her stomach that she has had since Tuesday?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the follow up query.

Abdominal discomfort and nausea of such long duration could be secondary to hiatus hernia and reflux disease. Any increase in abdominal pressure increases the reflux and produces pain and nausea.

Other causes like an inflammatory mass are unlikely to persist for 3 years.

Mild Right upper quadrant pain is usually due to -

1) Fatty liver with or without inflammation - most likely cause considering the weight and the recent weight loss

2) Gall stone related - usually there will be a history of sudden onset significant pain before the nagging symptoms.

3) Gastritis and peptic ulcer

4) Rarely colonic disorders - are usually associated with bowel abnormalities

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.