Stomach pains from hunger extends long? Why is it accompanied with fatigue, nausea, diarrhea and chills?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello,I wanted to know if you go along time without eating and develop stomach pains from hunger.How does it effect the body? Because,when I go along time without eating I develop hunger pains,Then I get fatigue,nasuea, diarrhea,and chills.What does that mean and how can I fix the problem.Thanks
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
Going a long time without eating will cause hunger pains to develop initially but after that these hunger pains are replaced by the pain due to gastric acidity which is excessively secreted unopposed in the stomach and is not utilized in digesting the food. This pain is associated with other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
To avoid such a happening, change and develop good dietary habits including, eating several small meals daily.
Diet should include fresh fruits, fiber XXXXXXX foods. Avoid spicy foods, fats and fried foods. Also avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, colas, and smoking. Avoid processed foods (Junk foods from refined carbohydrates). Eat freshly cooked food from whole grains.

Adopt proper posture.

Don't eat for at least three hours before you go to bed. If you have symptoms at night, try raising the head of your bed six to ten inches.

Maintain adequate hydration.

Adopting a sitting upright posture for 1 hr post meals will help in relieving the symptoms.

Avoid foods to which you are intolerant.

Continue walking and reduce stress.You can also practice meditation techniques.

In addition to dietary and lifestyle changes, you can try the following medications to reduce your symptoms as follows antacids (Tums, mylanta) can be continued to relieve the acidity.

Omeprazole will help to reduce acid secretions.

Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation.

Probiotics and digestive enzyme supplements will help to improve indigestion.

Pepto bismol to relieve any abdominal discomfort.

You can consider visiting a Physician and use the following medications after discussing with him.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.