Stomach pain, stools with blood, hemorrhoid, gastrointestinal bleed in colon, esophagus

I had stomach pain last night and today I am passing stool with bright red blood. What could be the cause? I feel like I have to relieve myself and my stomach feels like I have gas?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later

Bright red blood in the stool with stomach is never normal.

What this could reflect are the following:
1) A bleeding hemorrhoid - which sounds like is not the case for you if you describe more abdominal pain and no rectal discomfort
2) A lower gastrointestinal bleed in the colon or part of the small intestines often times in the left lower part of the colon where diverticuli in the colon wall can become inflammed and sometimes bleed - possible but not as likely as
3)An upper gastrointestinal bleed triggered by an ulcer or irritation of the lining of the stomach or esophagus. I am suspicious of this if you describe "stomach" or upper abdominal pain.

When there is inflammation in the stomach and bowels this can cause impaired function and movement of food or stool through the gastrointestinal tract which could contribute to bloating. If you continue to pass more bright red blood or dark black bowel movements you should seek an evaluation by a local physician who can assess for why these symptoms have presented. If you have a history of esophageal reflux or gastric ulcer, an acid blocking medication which you can purchase over the counter can sometimes help the inflammed areas or ulcers heal over a number of days.

I hope I have adequately answered your query. I am available for your followups.