Stomach pain, gurgling, stressed. Kidney function good. Any ideas?

ok i had a lot of stress lately,and have had pains in the stomach and lower back and feel sick ,but not sick,have been to dotors they have checked my kidneys and for 3 fuctions and all are good and my water is fine aswell,but still do not feel good ,i am 58 years old but walk 8 miles a day and keep myself fit and my weight is good,but my stomach gargles a lot ,any ideas
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Stress often causes gastric upset. It is not unusual for stomach to rumble when there is anxiety or stress. I would advise you to undergo an ultrasound of abdomen just to rule out something else out. You can start on proton pump inhibitor and prokinetic agents for a short period of time (you GP can prescribe this). A short course of BRAT diet- Banana, Rice, XXXXXXX sauce, Tea (black) for a short period of time sometimes helps with a rumbling stomach.

But there is nothing much to worry. Continue having a healthy lifestyle and you would be alright!

Dr. Om Lakhani
Follow-up: Stomach pain, gurgling, stressed. Kidney function good. Any ideas? 2 hours later
i just wondered if it was ibs as i have had this before diagnosed before, and i eat a banana ,orange,and XXXXXXX everyday ,as i have for many years,just wanted another opinon,
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 9 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

For you to be diagnosed to have IBS you need to have either change in frequency of the stool or change in appearance (form) of the stool along with abdominal pain. If there is no such symptoms you can be labeled as Functional abdominal pain (which is similar to IBS just no bowel symptoms). Either ways the treatment does not change much. IBS is a prolonged disease with no serious consequences. Some people prefer probiotics like VSL#3 or digestive advantage-IBS ... it works for some people.

Apart from that, there is nothing sinister in your symptoms, do not worry much.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Om Lakhani
Follow-up: Stomach pain, gurgling, stressed. Kidney function good. Any ideas? 53 minutes later
ok thank you for your answer and i was diagnosed with ibs about 5 years ago ,and yes my stools have changed over the last 2 weeks i go now about 3 times a day in 4 hours,but the pain started in my left side then in the back then the right and lower abdomen area,and that is why they checked my water and kidneys,that are all ok is there anything else i should have checked apart from an ultra sound done on my abdomen ,and do you think it is just a case of my ibs playing up,or could it be anything else ,thanks
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 44 minutes later

If there is change of stool frequency with mild abdominal pain, IBS is the most likely the diagnosis. Just get an ultrasound of abdomen done to rule something out.

Sometimes renal stones can cause these symptoms but since you said the kidney evaluation is normal there is nothing much to be done for it. Since the kidneys are fine, the most likely for the pain is IBS. You can consult a local GP who can easily tackle an IBS and the pain associated with it.

Dr. Om Lakhani