Stomach pain. Sonography shows hepatomegaly, grade 1 fatty liver. Prescribed Doxy, Sillybon, Pantament. Cause of fatty liver?

General Surgeon
Hi, my Mom had been complaining of slight pain in the stomach on the right side for quite a some time, we talked to the doctor and he advised some medicine and told that it will be ok. However, somedays back my mom got a severe and unbearable pain in the right side of the stomach, immediately she went to another doctor who is nearby to our residence and he checked and advised to take pain killer and to do USG of KUB region, CBC and urine test.
We got the tests done and in the sonography we got the outcome that a mild hepatomegaly with grade 1 fatty infiltration of liver is noted, and in the blood test the lymphocytes are 23% (normal 25-30) and neutrophils are normal although on higher side 68% (normal 40-70), rest are in normal range. We again went to the latter doctor and he checked and advised that Mom should not each much oil and spicy food and advised following medication Doxy 1L, Sillybon (140) and Pantament D. My mom eats normal home food and no or very less junk food. Request Doctor to kindly give us some idea regarding what could be the cause of fatty liver and what can be done to bring the liver to normal condition. Do I have to do test of Hepatitis, lipid profile, diabetic (although she is not). Also what diet she should have, we are vegetarians. My sister is a homeopathic doctor and she has advised to take chelodium 6.
Request you to kindly provide your valuable advise. Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Fatty liver can be caused by bad diet (lots of fatty foods, spicy foods), alcohol abuse, some medicines intake, liver inflammation. Due to elevated fat in the blood, it gets accumulated in the liver cells. Fatty liver is reversible. If nothing wont be done it can also lead to liver cirrhosis which is irreversible. You should know that fatty liver can not be the reason of your mothers pain. Its because fatty liver does not hurt at all.
HBV and HCV tests can be done, however liver tests should be done at first (AST,ALT,GGTP,AP, bilirubin). If liver tests will be elevated, than hepatitis tests should be done indeed.

Your moms pain can be caused by gallstones (what has been ruled out by an ultrasound), stomach issues (peptic ulcers, stomach inflammation) or large intestine issues (cancer is possible). Colon cancer should be ruled out at first. Its because the risk of this cancer significantly rises over the age of 50. That is why every person older than 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years.

I suggest your mom to avoid fatty foods and alcohol. She should visit gastroenterologist and consider gastroscopy and colonoscopy. In a meanwhile, FOBT (fecal occult blood test) should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Stomach pain. Sonography shows hepatomegaly, grade 1 fatty liver. Prescribed Doxy, Sillybon, Pantament. Cause of fatty liver? 2 days later
Thanks Doctor,

We have noted your points and are going to XXXXXXX gastroenterlogist in the coming week.
For your information we have carried out sonography of the abdomen and pelvis and doctor said nothing is found,however, report is awaited.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 hours later
Well, ultrasound is good test, however wont tell anything about intestines or stomach condition. So gastroenterologist consult seems to be good idea right now.