Stomach infection during pregnancy. Taken ornidazole, ofloxacin, azee, betnesol, cetirizine. Suggession about sideeffects?

Gastroenterologist
Question

I am pregnant by 5 weeks and I came to know about this 3 days back...As I was unaware..I had stomach infection..so I had taken Ornidazole and Ofloxacin 2 tablets...What you suggest to do with pregnancy???? urgent..please respond... this pragnanency is unplanned. And I have taken these medicine as I was unaware of pregnancy.

Below are Medicines taken between 9th to 14th XXXXXXX .Last perioid date was May 15th to May 20th ...Currently running 5th week as per blood test report..

1. Fynal OZ(Leofloxacin & ornidazole) consumed 2 tablets
2.Azee 500mg (Azithromycin) consumed 3 tablets
3.Betnesol plain consumed 5 tablets
4. Cetrizine consumed 2 tablets

Please advice will these medicines will any side effect? should we continue with the pregnancy?
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 10 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic for your problem.

Ideally one should avoid all medications during first trimester of pregnancy. But just like your case many women consume various medications during early period of pregnancy inadvertantly. Theoratically there are risks of harm to foetus, but in clinical practice with routinely used drugs (such as taken by you) these harms are usually not seen.

If you paln to continue with the pregnancy then you should have a regular follow-up with a obstretics specialist and a regular ultrasound follow-up for any foetal abnormalities. Your obstretician may further enlighten you about this issue.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Stomach infection during pregnancy. Taken ornidazole, ofloxacin, azee, betnesol, cetirizine. Suggession about sideeffects? 36 minutes later
Thanks Doctor!!

1) we dont any issue in contiuning this pregnancy.The only concern is possible side effects of these medicines..As you say practically these medicines dont harm....Lets assume if it does have some side effect..what would be types of abnormalities and degree of impact?

2) In cases like us taken above C group medicines ..What precautionaries clinical tests should be done during 1 to 4 th month to make sure to catch any abnormalities /issues so that noting is missed out .

3) Any impact on brain/nervous system development??

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Ornidazole and ofloxcin are category C drugs while Azithromycin is category B drug.

No known tertogenic effects in human beings with ornidazole are known but the clinical experience is very limited.

With Ofloxacin in experimental animals cartilage and bone changes have been found, but these changes were not seen in babies born to exposed human beings.

Similarly with Azithromycin no definite teratogenic effects were seen either in humans or experimental animals.

Since you have taken only 2 or 3 doses of each of these, I think you need not worry, and can continue with the pregnancy with proper follow-up.

As far as I know with the drugs you have named there is no impact on brain or nervous system development.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Stomach infection during pregnancy. Taken ornidazole, ofloxacin, azee, betnesol, cetirizine. Suggession about sideeffects? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks a lot your confident and analytical response!!..We would prefer to go with this pregnancy as there no risk or risk<1% it seems...:):)

We are currently located in mumbai.It would be great if you refer some best obstretics /Gynecologist in mumbai for cases like us who have taken drugs unkowningly within 20 days of fertilization.Hospital would be preferrable for weekly/momthy follow ups..Please suggest.

With warm regards,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

I am happy to know that you are more confident now and my best wishes to you for this pregnancy.

I am sorry that I am not aware of any Obstetrician or Gynecologist in Mumbai since I am located in Delhi.

Best wishes to you once again.

Dr Dinesh Singal