Stomach cramps, watery diarrhea, bloating, lower back pain, dizziness. Afraid of kidney infection

Went to see a GI for possible c-diff infection, was exposed at work. Had stomach cramping and watery diarrhea for 3 weeks. Began taking probiotics. The watery diarrhea has stopped before I could give a stool sample to confirm the diagnosis. I now have stomach bloating, pain in lower back (around kidneys) and dizziness along with very strong cravings for beef and I normally eat a mostly vegetarian diet. Am fatigued and very tired of not feeling well. I am afraid I have a kidney infection and don't want to get on an antibiotic because if I had c-diff it will return.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 7 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

The good news for you is that the diarrhea has stopped. Sometimes a gastrointestinal infection can leave behind some sequel like fatigue and GI upset even after the infection resolves. If you are thinking of a kidney infection a urine sample will rule that out. Since the diarrhea has stopped you don't need any antibiotics any more. Continue taking the probiotics. You can have a modified 'BRATY' diet - Banana, Rice, XXXXXXX sauce, black tea and Yogurt for a couple of weeks that can help with the GI upset. Drink plenty of fluids as well.

If you can collect a stool sample now, it can be analysed for C. diff toxin as well as any other pathogen.

With a little bit of rest and good nutrition you would be fine. The worse part of you GI episode has already passed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani