Stomach cancer, ulcers, gastric mucosal abnormality, H Pylori. Medication ?

1)I had T1A stomach cancer removed on march this year. I have a gastritis and ulcer and took the Prilosec from last October to end of MAY this year, however my gastritis does not improve at all. I am 68, I am pretty sure I do not have enough stomach acid to digest food beside my age. According the Web information, if the stomach does not make enough acid to digest food, which leads to stomach cancer; shutting down stomach acid production leads to stomach cancer. I do not want to take prilosec to treat my gastritis and ulcer for this reason. I do not want have another stomach cancer. please give me the name of effective medicines for a Gastritis and Ulcer beside the Omeprazole.---2) What is -Gastric mucosal abnorality characterized by texture change: The jumbo biopsy forceps allowed for EMR of the site, over an area of two cm X two cm. and I like know how to treat this. if how to remove this big site if needed to remove. I know this is kind of pre-cancer but how XXXXXXX I do not have H Pylori by Endoscopy biopsy inspection, blood test, stool test.

Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for the query.

Your question is a good one and i will try to help you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First of all I disagree that not having stomach enough acid is a pure risk factor for stomach cancer. We in fact know that too much acid can lead to changes in the esophagus through a mechanism of reflux so it becomes a challenge to balance adequate acid production. Along these lines I think omeprazole would not be a bad idea for you especially if you have symptoms of peptic ulcer disease.

There are other mechanisms to improve the environment of the stomach including drugs like ranitidine or sucralfate which help protect damaged areas of the stomach and promotes healing. If you really want a true measure of acidity in the stomach I suggest you request a Ph monitor where a doctor will be able to measure the average acid content of the stomach over time and give you an idea if it is high normal or low.

Your second question is a bit difficult to understand. If you have a report which shows which abnormality you are talking about I would be happy to review it to give you some recommendations. Please attach copies of reports and email them to my attention at YYYY@YYYY and i will be sure to review them thoroughly.

Again I thank you for the query and look forward to giving you helpful recommendations upon receiving your reply with additional information.

Dr. Galamaga