Still feel tired after drinking coffee or energy drinks. Help

Neurologist
Question
Caffeine used to have a huge effect on me. But now, i will dirink energy drinks and will still be just as tired after i drink them. Or 6 shots of espresso, still feel tired. I feel NO different. No effect anymore. I rarely drink caffeine at all because i know it's not gonna help wake me up.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later
Caffeine is a kind of addiction and one may develop tolerance to it, which means the quantity required to have the same effect keeps increasing. Its good that you have stopped it. Our body takes its time to get back to normal after it has been so used to the substance like caffeine. It may be weeks to months. In few it is years as well. So refrain from taking it. The cause of tiredness may be something else also for example anemia, heart-lung problems etc. Instead of instant fixes it is prudent to get evaluated by a physician and find the reasons. This can treat the cause totally and you do not need instant fixes any more. Hope I have a reasonable advice here.
If there are any more queries, I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.