Stiffness in the calf muscles after taking alcohol, swollen feet and hands. X-ray normal. Taking Amphetamines salt combo

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
The past couple days after I drink an alcoholic drink, my left side of my calf feels like its tight. Ive been having issues also for the past month with my hands and feet. Every morning I wake up my hands and feet feel swollen. My doctor isnt sure what is wrong. They had me take x-rays but found nothing. Medication i am taking: Amphetamines salt combo 20 mg
(most days I take 10 mg)
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
The stiffness in the calf muscles after taking an alcoholic drink is most likely related to the dehydration and lower body potassium levels. Eating bananas after taking an alcoholic drink along with plenty of water will help in preventing the discomfort.
The swollen feeling of your hands and feet is likely to be related to the vitamin B complex deficiency associated with alcohol intake. Of course decreasing the alcohol intake will help with your symptoms. Meanwhile you can start taking vitamin B complex supplements regularly.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Stiffness in the calf muscles after taking alcohol, swollen feet and hands. X-ray normal. Taking Amphetamines salt combo 10 minutes later
Dr. Tayal,

Thank you so much for your in depth answer. You have eased my anxiety!

Do you think some of these issues are due to my medication also? I normally try to stay away from alcohol and will have a glass of wine about twice a week. I still have the hand and feet swelling in the morning even without having an alcoholic drink at night. My feet will also itch and burn in the middle of the night as well. Do you think the Vitamin B complex will help with this?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Your medications are not likely to cause these symptoms. Most likely you will be relieved by Vitamin B complex supplementation. Occasional alcohol intake can cause such mild symptoms. In case the symptoms are persistent you can get your liver functions checked.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.