Sternum and chest pain, pain on breathing, quit smoking, no medical history. Causes ?

My sternum/chest was hurting last night and it hurts now when I breath deeply. Should i go to the hospital?

I'm a 38 year old male 6'2 150 lbs Clean medical history quit smoking 2 years ago
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later

When it comes to pain in the chest,the first diagnosis that needs to be ruled out is any HEART related problems. If you are experiencing sweating, breathlessness, palpitation or if the pain is radiating to the arms, then you need immediate medical attention. A cardiac examination with EKG and few other tests are entailed.

The other possible causes are
1. Pleuritic chest pain
2. Chest infection
3. Muscular pain
4. Chest trauma

If there are no associated symptoms (as mentioned above), then you can observe for a short while. Adequate rest and over the counter pill - Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day, might help you in relieving pain. In addition also take 3 tsp antacid syrups.

I encourage you to consult your doctor, if pain increases in intensity.

Hope my answer is adequate and helpful. If you have any more queries, I will be available to address them.