Started with itchy ears and dry skin. Used boric acid and alcohol. Suggest?

May 2014

I started to have very itchy ears 3 yrs ago. Now there is water in my ears most of the time especially at night. My Dr says she can't see anything in my ears except dry skin. I'm not sure who to turn to as I have been to three different Drs. One Dr said to use boric acid and alcohol.. another said ther could be a fungus in my ear. some days are worse then others. I quit drinking milk and use very few dairy products. Also didn't use wheat corn or eggs for two months. No change!
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult ear surgeon immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

If you have been having itchy ears for 3 years and there is ear discharge recently (more in the night) then you must get examined by an ear surgeon immediately. I presume it is affecting both ears.

The ear has got three parts, the external auditory canal, the middle ear cavity and the inner ear. Infections usually involve the middle ear cavity and cause ear discharge. This must be looked for in you and your ears need to be examined by using an otoscope (instrument used by doctors to see upto the eardrum). This will tell us if there is any perforation in the ear drum and any signs of infection.

You have not mentioned about any difficulties in hearing which can be expected in association with ear infections.

Treatment includes taking antibiotic and/ or antifungal ear drops as prescribed by your doctor and keeping your ears dry. Avoid allowing water into your ears when having a shower. It is unlikely to be related to your food intake.

If ignored, there is a possibility of middle ear infections spreading to the brain over a period of time.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.