Ask a Urologist   »  

Started with frequent urination, weight loss and blurred vision. Family history of diabetes. Any ideas?

Sep 2012

I'm a 38 yr old single male. I lost a lot of weight over the course of 10 days while I was based in another city with some changes in food habits. At the same time I also felt distant objects appear blurred.
My mouth often feels dry especially in the morning. Over the past two months I feel an urgent need to urinate often and at one time I was driving and quite embarrassingly could not control it. I have a family history of diabetes on my father's side and suspect these to be symptoms that I have it too.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 16 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the blurred vision is not a symptom of diabetes. You have to be checked for refractive errors.

But your other symptoms like weight loss, increased urge for urination are all indicative of a possibility of diabetes. As you have a family history of diabetes, you should be cautious.

Now, you have to do a battery of tests. They are

1.     Fasting and post prandial blood glucose level.
2.     Lipid profile test.
3.     Routine urine examination.

The lipid profile test is essential as in your age group the chances of developing a coronary artery disease is very high.

As you have increased urge of urination, urine examination is essential to rule out any other possibilities. If it indicates some abnormalities, urea and creatinine should also be done.

Lastly, do the tests and you can upload the reports here as a follow up query or you can consult with your family physician for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.