Started taking utrogestan and experiencing abdominal pain. Is this a side effect of the drug?

Nephrologist
Question
hello doctor i just started taking utrogestan which was prescribed by my doctor. can i eat after taking the medicine and since i started the medication i am experiencing abdominal pain, is this a side effect of the drug or could it be a sign of a serious situation?
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Utrogestan is to be taken on an empty stomach. Please do not eat right after taking the medicines.

These pills tend to cause gastritis in some, a proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole will help reduce the abdominal pain. Please follow up with your doctor regarding this issue.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further ones

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Started taking utrogestan and experiencing abdominal pain. Is this a side effect of the drug? 13 minutes later
doctor should i worry about the bleeding ???cos it doesnt stop and im worried that maybe im gonna lose it!!

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 57 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for replying

Bleeding during pregnancy is definitely a cause for concern but in my experience people have done well. You are taking the right treatment for it.
Follow with your doctor regularly and make sure to take complete bed rest, don't climb stairs, life heavy weights, exercise. Avoid papaya fruit and it's seeds.