Started sweating, vomiting and diarrhea after intercourse. Swollen lymph node in neck. Chances of HIV?

Sep 2012

HIV SCAREI recently was sick 3 days after an exposure. i was sick for about a week n a half with vomiting and diarrhea. i went to the doctor and he didnt beleive it was hiv. i got tested and it came back negative. the diarrhea stayed for about another week. it is pretty much all cleared up now besides a little of XXXXXXX mushy poop. my biggest concern now is that i have a swollen lymph node or two in my groin lymph nodes arent really swollen just kind of hard. i dont know if thats how they should feel. and ive been poking at my armpits trying to find a lymph node but i dnt really know how. it just feels like somethings in there. i dnt know if i pinched a nerve doin so or what. im constantly sweating cause of anxiety. i dnt know how much is being affected by my high anxiety levels right now. but when i went back to the dr for the lymph nodes he told me it was because of my acne and gave me antibiotics. he still refuses to beleive its hiv. i would like a second opinion
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, calm down. Do not panic.

The symptoms you described can also be seen during seroconversion in HIV infection. But, in that case, your HIV report should be positive. So, there is very little chance of HIV infection. For confirmation, you can do DNA PCR test. A p24 assay can also be considered. Lastly, do a HIV test after 6 months from the day of suspected exposure. That will confirm the situation.

Now, the lymph nodes. They become palpable during any infective condition, most commonly. Acne, caries tooth, mouth ulcers, all can lead to palpable cervical lymph node. So, HIV infection cannot be diagnosed just on the basis of the palpable lymph nodes. Your description does not indicate presence of any lymph nodes in the inguinal region.

Lastly, from my clinical experience, I can say that the disease you are suffering from is not HIV infection. But you should confirm it by the tests I have mentioned earlier. Keep following up with your treating doctor.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Started sweating, vomiting and diarrhea after intercourse. Swollen lymph node in neck. Chances of HIV? 21 minutes later
ive been told the test wont accurate till 3 months later. i had mine about 4 maybe 6 days after exposure. plus the weight i lost from being sick still hasnt came back. and can excessive sweating cause sweat glands to swell? just feels like somethings in my arm pit. also how much can anxiety and syress affect me
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, normally,there is a window period of 3 to 6 months between exposure and disease condition. But, acute HIV infection symptoms ( like in your case), indicates seroconversion that means the Elisa test becomes positive. So, if you had the disease, the result should be positive. Another point is minimum 15 days is required for seroconversion. Because, before that time, virus particles cannot achieve the level at which they can cause the disease. So, it is very unnatural to have disease symptoms within 4 to 6 days.

Excessive sweating cannot cause swelling of the glands. The glands becomes palpable if you have any chronic infections as I previously told you.

Look, the stress and anxiety cannot be quantified. But, now, you are going through very stressful situation. You have to keep faith in your treating doctor. So, you have to be calm and quite, because this stress can also lead deteriorate your health more. You should consult with your treating doctor about this.

Hope you have your answers.

Follow-up: Started sweating, vomiting and diarrhea after intercourse. Swollen lymph node in neck. Chances of HIV? 1 hour later
the last thing is i did find wat appears to be a tender lymph node below my right armpit. the skin over top of it is more sensitive then the lymph node itself. im not sure why i only poop XXXXXXX too. it gets a little runny sometimes at the end too. i have found blood once in my stool. i get small pains n my abdomen area as well. nothing severe or anything just like a pain you get from running for to long. the pain comes and goes. in addition to that i feel a little nausea in the morning which is releived from a bowel movement. if theres any connection there i dont know. last but not least my right testicles veins that it hands by feel more tender thn the left. i think thats about all my problems for now
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 7 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

The description of armpit does not sounds like a lymph node, some times the head of the bone can also be felt like a swelling. So, you have to confirm it by consulting with your treating doctor.

Secondly, the symptoms you described about your gastrointestinal system is not related with HIV related problem. It sounds more like an ultrasound scan to rule out any abnormality.

The testicle veins may some times become tender due to non specific cause. But you have to do a semen analysis and routine urine test to rule out any chance of infection in that area.