Started shaking. Is it sign of having seizures and what are the symptoms?

Hi, how are you? I've noticed that everytime I shake my dog barks. what is this a sign of? could I be having a seizure? if yes how are seizures diagnosed? and what are the possible treatments for seizures? thanks
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 5 days later
Thanks for the query
It could be a minor seizure called as startle myoclonus in neurology. But please note that every shaking is not a seizure. You need a detailed interview by a local neurologist. If he feels it a seizure, the investigations that help diagnose this are MRI scan of the brain and Electroencephalogram of the brain. Both these tests are simple tests and can be done without any problem. If these investigations support the diagnosis of seizure, you will benefit with anti epileptic medications.
Please get beck if you need any further clarification
Best wishes
Follow-up: Started shaking. Is it sign of having seizures and what are the symptoms? 2 days later
my family doctor said that inorder for them to be able to diagnose with a seizure I actually have to fall down and then someone find me cause the medication for seizure is very strong. is this true? is medication the only treatment available for seizures?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 4 days later

Apologies for the late reply.

What your family doctor prescribed is the common presentation of a seizure. However there are variants of minor seizure where fall and loss of consciousness is not associated.

Electroencephalogram (EEG) is the diagnostic test which looks at electrical activity of the brain. This test will rule out seizure per se. You can have a detailed interview with your neurologist and if necessary plan for EEG test.

Hope this answers your query.