Started rabipur pcec vaccination after a dog bite. Discontinued after three dose. Should I start it again?

hi i am 22 yr bitten by stray dog on feb 17 2013,took RABIPUR PCECvaccination first dose on feb 21,secnd dose feb 24,third dose friend said three doses are enough and i discontinued the vaccine.the gap has been for almost a month when can i take remaining 2 doses
or should i start whole schedule again.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The WHO recommends that the vaccination with the rabies vaccine should occur on day 0 ( the day of the bite), day 3, 7 , 14 and then the last dose on day 30.There is also an option for persons to receive a dose on day 90, this is normally reserved for persons who are unwell otherwise.

You had 3 doses, the day 3 , 7 and 14.
In light of the fact that a day 90 is sometimes offered to persons who need it,then you can still consider getting the fourth dose as soon as you can.After you receive this dose you should not need any other doses unless otherwise recommended by your doctor

In the US,only 4 doses are given at day 0, 3, 7 and 14 but they give the first shot with other medication to boost the immune response.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Started rabipur pcec vaccination after a dog bite. Discontinued after three dose. Should I start it again? 24 minutes later
Thank you Doc for your quick reponse to my you say that
if i take the remaining two doses,as per WHO schedule altogether its five dose of vaccine, i will be free from further infections.but how many days gap should i take between the 4th and 5th dose.but i injected the 3 doses of vaccine upper gluteal that alright.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later

Yes , you were not able to have the first dose so your day 3 is essentially your day 0.
This means that your fourth dose should have been 30 days from your first dose. If you take it now it would be ok.
If you take this dose you should be free from possible infection.

If you are still wary, you may consider the day 90 dose, which should be taken 90 days after your first injection

Injection into the gluteal region is correct, it is an intramuscular injection and this is the best place for these.

Please feel free to ask any thing else
Follow-up: Started rabipur pcec vaccination after a dog bite. Discontinued after three dose. Should I start it again? 17 minutes later
does consumption of alcohol and smoking during vaccination period,decreases the potency of vaccine.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later

It is not that the alcohol or smoking can affect the efficacy of the vaccine.
The problem is that excess alcohol intake can cause mental symptoms such as dizziness,agitation or confusion and this may be confused with some of the symptoms that can be attributed to rabies.

For this reason it is normally advised not to use too much alcohol so that any early warning symptoms can be detected.

Smoking is not likely to cause any symptoms that may be confused with rabies.