Started losing weight and noticed mucus and blood in stool. What could be causing this?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My son is 13 years old since last few months I noticed he has reduced weight about 6 kg and sits long period of time for bowel he complains he is having mucus in the stool at times with blood thread in it what can be the cause he said the problem started since we visited Egypt about 9 months back and increased with period of time
Stool test result showed no micro organisms or occult blood culture showed no growth, salmonella no shigella BUT PUS CELLS+++ AND MUCUS+++ WERE FOUND what could be the underlying cause
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later

I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your question.

Blood and mucus stools along with significant loss of weight needs thorough evaluation.

One possibility is inflammatory bowel disease. Colonoscopy may be done for evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Started losing weight and noticed mucus and blood in stool. What could be causing this? 5 hours later
I will go for colonoscopy.from last 2 days my son is on omeprazole 20 mg once daily it has reduced the mucus to absolutely no mucus , consistency of the stool now is normal and he is feeling much better. Pedretician advised me to continue on this for three weeks. I want to avoid colonoscopy as much as possible needs your expert opinion thanks and regards.Even on repeated stool analysis no blood was present in stool

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 18 hours later
Blood and mucus in stool is due to involvement of the colon.
Omeprazole is for acidity in the stomach and upper intestine and it will not resolve the lesions in the colon.
If there is recurrence of symptoms, colonoscopy has to be done.

If there are no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini