Started having watery diarrhoea. Feeling nausea and headache. What should I do?

I started having watery diarrhea yesterday and tried to drink water all night so that I would not get dehydrated but every time I had to get up and go to bathroom with diarrhea. My head began to hurt and then my eyes are now aching with some nausea. I have no insurance at the moment.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later

In view of your symptoms I think you are having gastroenteritis. Usually cause is either viral or bacterial. Usually treatment is directed towards maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance.

Maintaining hydration and electrolyte balance with increased oral fluid intake and some salt may be helpful. You can take Ready-mixed rehydration sachets (eg Dioralyte, Rehidrat)
Oral loperamide (Imodium) may help reducing intestinal motility and give symptomatic relief. Oral antiemetic (Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate) can help controlling vomiting. And if symptoms persist a stool culture and course of antibiotics may be considered.

I hope I have been helpful to you, Please ask if there are any doubts.

Thank you. Regards

Follow-up: Started having watery diarrhoea. Feeling nausea and headache. What should I do? 3 hours later
Why does my head hurt and why are my eyes red?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later

Headache and eye congestion can be part of the infection.

Are there symptoms like fever, body ache or signs of dehydration - increased thirst, extreme weakness, reduced urination, skin dryness, etc?

Hope this clarifies your doubts. We can discuss further if there are other concerns.