Started feeling flushed after having large soda. Is this Normal?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I had a sub and large soda, I feel flushed,normal?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

Soda is a carbonated drink and ususally result in burping after intake.
It would be helpful if you kindly mention more about your symptoms.

Flushes or redness in skin can be seen in some cases after consumption of alcohol, a condition known as Alcohol Flush Reaction or Asian Flush Syndrome. This occurs due to accumulation of Acetaldehyde, a metabolic byproduct during metabolism of alcohol.

I would suggest to get your vitals monitored perhaps at the ER in addition a detailed examination to rule out alcohol flush reaction. In the meantime drink lots of pure water.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any query, I would be happy to help.

Follow-up: Started feeling flushed after having large soda. Is this Normal? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr.

I should mention I have reflux and tendency to eat quickly. Prior to feeling that way I took a bowel movement. I drink a lot of soda and hardly if any water.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 12 minutes later

Thanks for your response.

You should avoid drinking lots of soda. It can result in increased gas production and gastro esophageal reflux.

Eating fast also result in swallowing excess air with the food, resulting in bloating sensation or fullness of stomach after eating.

You can take Domperidone 10 mg along with Famotidine after discussing with the doctor who will examine you.

You should have at least 8-10 glass of water daily for a healthier life.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please mention.