Stage 1 poorly differentiated IDC, lumpectomy. Beneficial to use tamoxofin ?

Is there a benefit to doing Tamoxofin for Stage 1 poorly differentiated IDC ? E+P + Her2 -
5'6 280 lbs.I had a lumpectomy in May 2011 all nodes were clear and all margins were negative for IDC and DCIS. However margins were not 2cm all the way around the DCIS, because it was a surprise. No radiation and no chemo, my choice. Oncotype DX .
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I appreciate the information you have provided so far. Was an Oncotype DX sent on your tumor specimen? Also what was the size of the primary lesion from the lumpectomy?

These are important pieces of information to help me make appropriate recommendations for you. When you have a chance if you could provide that I would greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Stage 1 poorly differentiated IDC, lumpectomy. Beneficial to use tamoxofin ? 6 hours later
Oncotype was 34

1.2 cm at lumpectomy.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later

Thanks for the followup information.

Can you please tell me what your oncologist and radiation oncologist recommended? Local treatment with radiation can have a significant impact on minimizing the chances of local recurrence. A score of 34 is in a relatively high risk for recurrence which is why radiation and chemotherapy would be strong considerations.

In addition, hormonal therapy would be a strong consideration in your case in light of the high recurrence score. For you, I would offer this treatment with continued close followup and mammogram imaging studies to document that there is no evidence of local recurrence.

Thanks again for the followup information. I look forward to any additional information you have to provide in continuing our discussion.

Dr. Galamaga.