Stabbing pain under ear. Menopausal, having short term forgetfulness. Diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis in shoulder. Treatment?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hello my name is barb, I'm 55 and female! My concern is a sharp intermittent stabbing pin under my left ear it generally doesn't last long but is happening more frequently this last couple of days! It started around twelve or so months ago! My last cholesterol reading a few months ago was 4.2 I'm not diabetic. I am menopausal and take livial also Effexor 37.5 daily. I've been having a bit of short term forgetfulness but otherwise work effectively and efficiently. Three years ago I was diagnosed with adhesive capsulitis in the right shoulder then I got a tear in the supraspinatus tendon in the left shoulder and with both shoulders not functioning well some referred back of neck pain! I'm a registered nurse and have continued to work my range of movement has improved but still very tender in joints and radiating down biceps! It wakes me at night and I have numbness from shoulder down to finger I massage and move the arm and hand and the feeling returns. I'm a little overweight but not grossly! Any ideas! Thanks barb.
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing Health care magic for your query.
I have gone through the details mentioned in your query and I am suspecting chronic mastoiditis.

Mastoiditis is bacterial infection of the mastoid bone which is situated behind the ear. This bone has cells which help in drainage of middle ear.

So any infection which has occurred in the middle ear and not treated properly spreads to the mastoid bone causing mastoiditis.

Symptoms include fever, pain below the ear and drainage from the ear.

You may have to undergo an Xray and culture of drainage of ear for confirmation of the diagnosis.

I suggest a visit to an ENT doctor for detailed examination and therapy.

Over the counter pain killers will help reduce the pain. Appropriate antibiotics can be taken after confirmation of diagnosis.

Let the ENT doctor decide the antibiotic prescription based on the culture report.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.