Stabbing chest pains, have respiratory sinus arrhythmia. Quit smoking and reduced caffeine. Why?

after many years of unexplained stabbing chest pains that began in my late teens, along with scans and blood tests, 12 months ago my (new) doctor has finally conculded that i have respitory sinus arrthymia. she recomended that i reduce my caffine intake. 2 / 3 ecg's were normal, 1 read as abnormal. i haven't had stong chest pains for 12 months but dfor the last week or so i have been feeling light headed and dizzy. i am quitting smoking with a nicotine replacement aid, don't drink and am a 28/yo female with a history of heart disease in the family (fa was diagnosed with angina in his late 20's) butam otherwise in good health. should i be making an appointment for a check-up?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Cardiac arrythmias occur when electrical impulses that are generated within your heart and which coordinates your heartbeats don't work properly. This causes heart to beat too fast, too slow or irregularly. They are often harmless but since off late you have been experiencing Lightheadedness and dizziness I would recommend you to get yourself assessed further by a Cardiologist.

Be cautious of other symptoms like shortness of breath, weakness, fainting or near fainting and chest pain or discomfort. Seek urgent medical care if you suddenly or frequently experience any of the above signs and symptoms at a time when you wouldn't expect them.

There are various causes which can be excluded only after a comprehensive physical examination by a competent Cardiologist. Your doctor may propose you few tests like EKG, Holter Monitor, Cardiac computerized tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and other essential tests to substantiate his clinical findings. Once this is done your treatment plan will be formulated.

It’s good to know that you are trying to quit smoking and don't drink, I do really value that. In the interim, you can eat healthy fiber XXXXXXX foods, increase your physical activity, cut back on caffeine, avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation, etc.

Hope this answer would be of help to you. Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.