Sprained knee and experiencing pain. Icing the knee. Treatment?

May 2014

sprained my knee going down a stair and still experiencing pain and swelling 11 days later.
my gender is male.
I usually jog 2 to 3 times a week, about 3 miles.
and have been doing this for decades.
my gender is male.
and have been doing this for decades.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely soft tissue or ligamentous injury.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I am sorry to hear about your knee sprain. You must have taken self care and first aid since. Usually recommended home care of such injury includes rest, ice pack application, compression or wrapping the injured or sore area with an elastic bandage will help decrease swelling along with limb elevation.

Any pain relievers might also help reduce the pain.

As you have mentioned limited joint movement and swelling even 11 days later, a significant soft tissue injury needs consideration. A swollen joint is never normal, and if it is red and warm or if there is an associated fever, more urgent medical attention should be accessed.

There are small structures in the knee joint such as the medial and lateral collateral ligaments, anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments and medial and lateral menisci. These structures help maintaining balance and movement in the joint and also locking and unlocking of the joint. Rarely it can be bleeding into the joint space. Any small fracture or dislocation also needs to be ruled out as the swelling and discomfort is persisting.

Having been doing regular jogging might have kept your knee joint structures in good shape but I suggest you consult an orthopedician for clinical evaluation and imaging investigations like X XXXXXXX and MRI scan. As its been recently that you had your injury, this is the right time to get the appropriate treatment.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write in if you have doubts.