Sprained ankle, having swollen and bruised. Suffer pain. X-ray showed no fracture. Re-sprained?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I sprained my ankle last week. Became swollen and bruised for 3 days. On walking yesterday the ankle gave way and is now swollen again and giving me a sharp tingling pain. Initial X-rays showed no fracture, could this second injury have caused more damage or just re-sprained it?
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely re-sprain

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I just picked up your question as it is related to my specialty.

I agree with you, it is most likely re-sprain of your ankle. However if you can not stand and walk on it full weight bearing then a repeat x-ray of the ankle will be indicated due to risk of fracture.

There are degrees of sprains, and some of them are quite bad and can cause instability in the ankle.

My advice is to use bandage during day time and take it off at night, you can also apply ice (in a towel) few times per day and elevate your foot.
The above measures will help decrease the swelling and tingling in your ankle.

But If you can not walk or stand on your ankle then repeat X-ray is indicated.

I hope I have answered you question adequately.

Best wishes