Sprained ankle, fracture, ankle exercises done. Anything else for cure?

I sprained my ankle four months ago, I am able to play basketball again but every time i play i get a slight sprain on it. I believe it could be worse if it was not due to the high top shoes and ankle strap that I wear. Also I had fractured that ankle in fifth grade. What should I do?, I have started to do ankle exercises such as rotations and spelling the alphabet through ankle movement, is there any thing else that I could do?
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Since you still experience pain after you play, I think you should avoid playing at the moment. I don't want the problem to become a long lasting one. Ligament or tendon injuries can sometimes take longer to heal.

Ideal approach at the moment would be to get re-evaluation done by your doctor. After a physical exam, we may also need a MRI to look at the ligaments. Although this may feel uncomfortable at the moment, this will actually help you pursue your passion for a longer time.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are any doubts.