Spotting during ovulation. Trying to conceive. Pelvic ultra sound came normal. Could it harm fertility?

Infertility Specialist
Question
I have a question regarding fertility and my cycle. I have had spotting off and on for years. It comes and goes. About 7 years ago I had an ultra sound for the issue and it came back normal. A few months later the spotting was gone. Recently, we are trying to conceive. I have been spotting again. It always occurs right after ovulation but sometimes that is two weeks before my period or the week before. The spotting can range from super light (dont even need to wear a pad or tampon to almost like a period). I had another pelvic/transvaginal ultra sound done last month and it was completely normal. I also had a TSH/FSH/AMH test done and all of those come back normal as well. I have been told that it will work itself out. What could this be and could it harm fertility?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its normal

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) Spotting during ovulation is normal and many women experience it.

2) You dont worry for minor spotting associated with ovulation. If its excessive then you can get scan done to check endometrial tickness.

3) It wont harm fertility as far as its mild spotting.

4) I suggest you send me other reports you have including semen analysis of your husband.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.

Follow-up: Spotting during ovulation. Trying to conceive. Pelvic ultra sound came normal. Could it harm fertility? 2 minutes later
Is mild spotting considered a lighter flow of your period? As I mentioned sometimes its super light and other times its a bit heavier and flows into my period when it happens the week before my actual period

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

Thats right. light blood spotting are seen during ovulation.

Follow-up: Spotting during ovulation. Trying to conceive. Pelvic ultra sound came normal. Could it harm fertility? 1 minute later
Thank you for your help...one more follow up question. Its okay that this happens the week before my period? I have read that ovulation spotting is more common two weeks before your period

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
implantation bleeding

Detailed Answer:

Yes it means that probably your ovulation was late in that cycle or the spotting is due to embryo trying to implant and is called implantation bleeding. But pregnancy not continued.