Spotting after IVF procedure. Concerned about the bleeding. Taking oral progesterone, clexane, estradiol

Infertility Specialist
Hi i had my first IVF this month, and I am due for my beta tomorrow, 14 days after egg retrieval. My doctor transferred five embryos, three of them very good quality ones. In the last couple of days I started spotting brown and this morning as well as this afternoon, after straining just a little bit for bowel movement, I had this thick dark red pasty discharge. No cramping at the time, no other pain whatsoever.. and just brown spotting in between those two times. I am on oral progesterone, clexane, estradiol and estrogen. Could this mean that it's all over??
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later

Thanks for writing.

I understand you are waiting anxiously for results of blood tests tomorrow. Dont loose hopes. Everything is not over yet.

The broen discharge you experienced could be due to 2 possibilities:

1) Implantation success bleeding: As the embryo goes XXXXXXX into endometrium, sometimes the vessels break & lead to spotting.

2) Implantation failure bleeding: If embryos have failed to get implanted, the spotting could indicate return of menses.

But I suggest you keep hopes till tomorrow's blood test which will decide evrything.
I advice you to stop clexane temporarily as it increases chances of bleeding. Start clexane after getting blood test reports tomorrow.

I wish you a positive pregnancy test tomorrow. Please get back to me with results.

I hope I answered your queries. I will be available for any follow up queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Infertility Specialist