Spotted a yellow patch of skin on chest. No pain and itching. What would this be?

We just spotted a yellow patch of skin on my husband's chest. What would this be? There is no pain, itching, rising or anything at all.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
so what I gather is that your husband has a flat asymptomatic pale white or yellow patch over chest.
There could be varied causes for the same
post inflammatory hypopigmentation ie there could have been a skin lesion that later on healed with white patch.
vitiligo or previtilogo
pityriasis versicolor
lichen sclerosus et atrophicus( LSEA)

I would be able to help you out more if you could let me know
since how long is he having it
developed gradually from a small lesion or onset was sudden and acute
if the lesions are bit depressed from skin surface or if from appearance you feel the white or yellow area appears to be thin than normal skin.
if there are similar developing lesions around nearby hair follicles

answer these queries and upload an image too as without examining the lesion. it is difficult to think of a diagnosis.

Hope that helped.