Spot on chest, back and groin, not itchy, not flaking, no discomfort. What could be causing them?

A few years ago I noticed there was a yellow/light brown spot the size if a dime on my chest in an area never exposed to sun. I didn't think it was a big deal, but over the last year it has increased to about the size of a quarter and there are several more smaller spots in the same general area, also a few on my back, and a few in my groin area. The spots do not itch, don't cause any discomfort, and don't flake skin. They cause me no trouble whatsoever but the increase in number and size has me worried about what could be causing them.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 9 hours later

Thanks for your query

It looks like a fungal infection for which you can apply betamathasone or any other antifungal ointment locally.

Take the prescription from your doctor.

Keep the areas dry for which you can apply miconazole powder.

Get your complete blood count done especially platelets as you are having the history of idiopathic thrombocytopenia.

You can send the pictures at YYYY@YYYY with subject: ATTN: Minoo Bhagia. Please do confirm by writing here so as to reply you back at the earliest.

It is better to show the patches to a dermatologist to be more accurate in making the diagnosis.

I hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Spot on chest, back and groin, not itchy, not flaking, no discomfort. What could be causing them? 1 hour later
Could a fungal infection cause the dark pigmentation? The areas are not raised at all, they are completely flat. The skin looks perfectly normal except for the discoloration. If they were in areas exposed to sun I would just assume they were sun spots, that's what they look like, but they are in areas that are never exposed. ???
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Yes it could be due to fungal infection and the area may not be raised.
In dermatitis and other skin conditions, there will be itching.

Get your blood counts done. It would be nice if you send the pictures if possible.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health.