Splashed a bit of hot oil in eye. Feeling uncomfortable. Suggest some urgent home remedy

Hello I splashed a bit of hot oil in my eye while cooking dinner tonight. I have washed it out for about 5 minutes with cold tap water. The eye is a little uncomfortable and feels grainy when I blink and it is red to look at. Can you please give me correct treatment as I do not have any 24hr doctors in my area.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 22 minutes later

You have taken first correct step. And you knew third step. I hope you have time to take second step. Please ask any question I will try to answer ASAP.
     FIRST AID :

You need to wash with cold water until the irritation and pain goes away.

Close your eye to give it rest, avoid looking at bright light, that would irritate your eyes.

Keep your eye moist by putting in OTC drops like Aqua Tears to prevent irritation.

See a doctor for a prescription of Antibiotic Eyedrops like Gentamycin and further evaluation of the extent of the eye injury and assessment of vision.

Dr Anil Grover,