Spiral fracture of metacarpal in a cast. Will movement like jumping affect the healing process?

How much is too much movement for a spiral fracture of 4th metacarpal in a cast, for e.g. is movements jumping or leg workouts affects its healing process?, I once went to the gym and was doing legs, felt like blood flow throb in the hand like a heat beat but there was no pain. Would jumping be too much movement?

Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 3 hours later

I do not think jumping or leg workouts can do any damage to the healing bone.

Normally cast is given for this purpose only to avoid undue strain on the fractured joint due to any activity. The principle is to give rest to the part so that bones can unite properly.

Unless there is some direct activity which puts pressure on the injured part, I do not see any reason for worry. Again even direct minor thrusts are not much of concern.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.

Wishing you good health and speedy recovery.