Spine bend to left. Advised orthopedic jacket and operation. Doubt of TB. Is the surgery necessary or should alternative treatment be taken?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My niece has some spine problem. Her spine has a bend to left side. Earlier her treatment was running from AIIMS and after doing some test they advised a orthopedic jacket and told if this jacket doesn't work then she will be operated.
Now, 20 days back she was suffering from fever on alternative days and had back pain. She was rushed to a children hospital. Actually she was referred to hospital by a clinic nearby. They did all test inducing spine. They had doubt of TB but TB report is negative. Now they said she will be operated and this operation will be major. Her stomach and back will be cut.
Pls advice, we should go for operation or it can be treated without operation. If yes pls suggest where.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
To know the exact problem in detail, i would like to have her complete history and investigation details. Whether an operation is needed or not depends on the diagnosis, severity of her problem and her physical condition.
I'm limited here with the inability to examine your niece, hence I'll not be able to give you more information regarding the possibilities.
Please upload her clinical history and all investigation reports in the box provided on the right hand side of the query box so that i can help you better.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Spine bend to left. Advised orthopedic jacket and operation. Doubt of TB. Is the surgery necessary or should alternative treatment be taken? 3 hours later

I have uploaded prescriptions and reports of my Niece.
Hi Actually I read about scoliosis on internet and saw some postures due to scoliosis which are similarly my niece. Pls advice

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I am sorry but there are no investigation reports attached to this query. Please upload the reports again. You can also send the reports by mail to the customer care with subject ATTN: Dr. Praveen tayal.
Regards.

Follow-up: Spine bend to left. Advised orthopedic jacket and operation. Doubt of TB. Is the surgery necessary or should alternative treatment be taken? 27 minutes later

Pls find all the reports of XXXXXXX (my niece)

XXXXXXX

Hello.
I have seen the reports attached with the query. Your niece has scoliosis of dorsal vertebrae with hemivertebrae at D11 level. From the reports, there is no evidence of any acute problem she is suffering now. If her symptoms can be controlled well with the help of medicines and orthopedic jacket and physiotherapy, then surgery is not immediately needed. She can wait till she is 18 years old and then the treatment can be decided according to the degree of deformity she is having.
Here I would suggest you to take a second opinion from a neurologist who will guide you regarding some better options regarding the conservative treatment after a thorough examination.
Hope this answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.