Spinal surgery done. Had cesarean section delivery. Having pain in knee to toe. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have knee pain in one leg that is right leg.When I sit for long time and get up the pain increases a bit.The pain is not too much its bareable.Sometimes even some sound comes in knees.The pain is from knees to toe.I have undergone a spinal surgery as well some 2 years back.This surgery was for tethered cord syndrome.Post that delivered a baby as well through C-Section.This knee pain is there since a week.I am worried,what can be the reason?????Please advise
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 1 hour later

There are many reasons for pain in knee. The commonest being torn ligament, torn meniscus, synovitis, cartilage degeneration. Since you mentioned your previous spine surgery, it may interest you to know that it is possible to have a radiating pain from spinal nerves upto your toes.

The pain you have is acute in origin, so lets assume its not serious. Take adequate rest, use hot fomentation, support the knee with a crepe bandage and avoid positions like knee bending, cross legged sitting and stair climbing. Take anti inflammatory medicines prescribed by your physician for a few days. Local ointment can also be used, but avoid massaging the knee.

If that does not help, visit your orthopaedician for a detailed examination supported with relevant investigations like x ray/ MRI. That should help us reach a definitive diagnosis. The definitive treatment shall be decided accordingly.

Please feel free to ask more questions, I'm available for follow up.
Follow-up: Spinal surgery done. Had cesarean section delivery. Having pain in knee to toe. What could be the reason? 3 days later
Thanks for your advise.I shal follow the same and see the difference.If it continues shall ask for your suggession again.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 11 minutes later
Most certainly dear lady, I shall gladly be of further service.
Wish you good health and early recovery.