Sperm count zero, nodules, ultrasound. Serious?

My sperm count is zero. I am 29 yrs of age. The uro ultrasound test said there are 3 nodules on both sides. How do I feel now. could you get me clarification.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later

Azoospermia can be caused by testosterone deficiency and treatment with testosterone might cause the testes to resume sperm production.

Before going for the hormonal treatment, you need to know the nature of nodules present in your testes. You need to consult your urologist for a testicular biopsy, so that the nature and cause of lumps can be known. If the swellings are due to infection, then your condition is reversible with good antibiotics. If it comes out to be a malignant growth, then an early treatment can limit the disease progression. Discuss about the need for biopsy and evaluation with your Urologist and consider getting it done under their guidance.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Sperm count zero, nodules, ultrasound. Serious? 8 hours later
Hello again,

2 years back,I had something called bilateral epididymo orchitis with severe pain and swelling in both testicles which the doctor said is an infection.So,do you think,probably that might have caused it and as you said,it might be due to infection,if that is the case,can an infection cause zero sperm count?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

In epididymorchits the impaired tissue would obstruct in the epididymal duct. So semen cannot go through it.

If the epididymis is infected, there would be a hypermia or edema(swellig), so the function of producing sperm decreases. As a result, the number of inactive and dead sperm increases.

As the epididymis is infected, some pathogen can directly harm the sperm in epididymal duct, such as E.Coli. These pathogen restrain the activity of sperm by gathering them together or absorb on the surface of sperm.

The lump or nodule in the testis can be due the previous epididymis infection you had.

A chronic and improperly treated infection might be a reason but right now it is difficult to say anything about the nature of swelling without any investigations.

It is best to get an FNAC done for the swelling to know the diagnosis.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback.I am very much happy with the response and hope to give you a follow-up regarding the treatment I will undergo.
It was nice to know that we could help you.