Sperm count is healthy, normal viscosity, liquefaction. Motility is low. On lipitor. What could be the cause for low sperm motility?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My sperm count is healthy 40 million, visocsity normal, liquefaction (complete). Also the sperm themeselves are healthy, and only 1% Cytoplasmic, 1% Amorphous, 1% Crocked Neck. But my motility is way low. 85% (0), 5% (1), 5% (2), 5%(3) and 0% (4). Bacteria ++. How can I improve this. Also, I have been on Lipitor for the past 2 months and have read many testimonials and studies showing it CAN cause low sperm motility.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treating the infection, nutritional supplements

Detailed Answer:
The possible causes for your low sperm motility are :
- Infection, as there is evidence of bacteria.
-According to some studies on animals, lipitor has shown to cause decreased sperm motility as you said. So, that may be one cause.
-Working conditions like working environment, stress and strain in the job etc can influence the motility.
-Dietary factors like vitamins and minerals deficiency can also affect the motility.
- Habits like smoking and alcoholism can also affect the motility.
So, you once consult urologist and get examined to rule out structural causes like varicocele and to find out the possible cause for your problem.
As your cholesterol levels are almost normal, you can stop lipitor or can shift to some other drug with your doctor's advice.
Better to take one course of antibiotics to treat the infection.
Take nutritional supplements with your doctor's advice. Do physical exercises regularly.
Possibly these things will help in improving the motility.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: Sperm count is healthy, normal viscosity, liquefaction. Motility is low. On lipitor. What could be the cause for low sperm motility? 12 minutes later
Thanks so much, as you have broken down the analysis in a way I understand what I need to do. I just want to find out, I have stopped using Liptor. By stopping the usage, can this help in improving the motility, like getting it better??

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly

Detailed Answer:
As I mentioned previously, the decreased motility of the spermatozoa can occur due to many causes.
And lipitor is one of those possible causes.
So, if lipitor was the cause for your problem, possibly the motility can improve after stopping that.
Along with stopping the drug, better to take nutritional supplements and do physical exercise regularly.

Follow-up: Sperm count is healthy, normal viscosity, liquefaction. Motility is low. On lipitor. What could be the cause for low sperm motility? 4 minutes later
What are the most efficient nutritional supplements I can take to help improve my status??

Currently I am taking Centrum Specialist (Energy) , Nature's Plus Herbal Actives Goji Extract, and Nature's Way Ginkgold (60mg). Are those Ok to continue taking or should I stop one, two or all. And again what are the best/most efficient supplements I can take to help the problem.

Thank you very much for all the replies, you are being an amazingly huge help.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue

Detailed Answer:
As nutritional supplements you need multivitamins, minerals and amino acids etc.
Among the products you are taking, centrum contains multivitamins and minerals.
And according to the manufacturers natures plus is containing amino acids, so you can continue them or can shift to one product containing all these things.
Along with these, taking nutritious diet and physical exercise are also important.