Spasm on back, gas, indigestion, abdominal pain, irregular heart beats. Gas affecting heart rhythm?

I have been getting an odd feeling of pressure almost like a spasm in the left side of my back, I think behind my heart, heaviness in my things and mid section when standing up suddenly, anxiety and lots of gas and indigestion. I am really bloated and have attacks after I eat, where I have abdomen pain and start spitting up excessive amounts of mucus and saliva. Excessive burping and flatulence. Along with that I am checking my pulse and for the most it is fine and regular, but last night it felt strange. Instead of a steady beat__beat__beat__beat. I was feeling a beat-beat__beat-beat__beat-beat. Alst like I was getting a double beat which should have been a single beat. I have been under lots of stress, not eating properly and seems to come on when I have an episode of excessive burping and gas. Is all that burping and gas be effecting my heart rhythm and am I experiencing an arrhythmia. It seems to right itself if I calm down of cough a few times. Don't know what is causing this an scared. History of abnormal EKG, doctor said I have artifacts on but a normal echo, but had trouble completing a stress test- dr said I was holding my breath.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The excessive gas and burping will not affect your heart rhythm and will not cause an arrhythmia. As of now, the only way to know whether it was an arrhythmia or not is to do an electrocardiogram (EKG). The results need to be interpreted knowing about the anxiety which could make anyone's heart beat faster.
The spasm in the back and the mid section heaviness can also be due to excessive gas formation. But I would also like to know other things like :
a. What is your weight?
b. Do you smoke or consume excessive amounts of alcohol?
c. Do you have any family history of heart disease?
d. Have you been checked for high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes
As far as the gas is concerned, the following measures will help:
a. Eat small meals at frequent intervals
b. Avoid smoking and excessive amounts of alcohol
c. Avoid lots of coffee, tea, spicy and oily food
d. Have an early dinner
e. Exercise regularly

Let me know if you have any more concerns.