Sores on lips with clear fluid filled inside, pops and drains on biting, recurring condition. Causes and treatment options ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i have a sore inside my lip. It fills up with fluid that is clear. i can feel the "fluid sack" inside the lip and then when it fills up it creates sort of a head. If i bite it, it pops and drains, but then comes back a few days later. Any idea what it is and how i can treat it so it doesnt come back?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 28 minutes later
Your description of the lesion is suggestive of a vesicle on your inner lip, which are fluid filed thin walled lesions which may burst after getting tense with increasing fluid. It is usually seen in viral infections like herpes labialis, some autoimmune skin diseases like pemphigus, chronic irritation conditions of teeth, chronic systemic illness, mouth ulcers etc.

Every skin lesion requires thorough clinical examination for exact diagnosis since similar lesions can be seen in more than one condition.It is advisable to consult your dermatologist who can check the lesion and with the help of detailed history and some investigations if needed, come to an exact diagnosis and apropriate treatment.

According to your age and description the most common diagnosis would be viral infection but in
that case the lesions are painful, spreading, self resolving and recurrent.

In case your lesions increae in size, number or show pus or blood, then please seek prompt consultation.

As of now it doesn't seem worrisome and may resolve on its own, but persistence beyond a week would warrant treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.