Soreness on calf muscle after dog bite. Feeling difficulty to walk. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I am a postal worker who has a walking mail delivery route and was bitten by a dog mid this afternoon on my upper left calf. Bite did not go thru 2 layers of clothing, so was just the muscle that was a little sore. I didn't give much thought to it and proceeded to finish my route over the next several hours. The muscle has now, however, become very sore and tender to the touch over the course of the evening - and I can hardly walk on it. What can I do for the muscle this evening/tonight to give myself an optimal chance of being able to do my route tomorrow?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
It seems that the dog bite has caused a soft tissue injury in the area of your calf. Most of the times such injuries heal on their own in 7-10 days.
You can help the swelling and pain by taking following measures-
Use the RICE formula:
•Rest. Avoid putting weight on the painful leg.
•Ice. Apply cold packs or ice wrapped in a towel for short periods of time, several times a day.
•Compression- you can tie a crepe bandage in the area for relief.
•Elevation- Keep the leg elevated on two pillows.

Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen if you need more pain relief.
In case the swelling and pain increases then do attend an ER for examination and stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.